The Sunshine Coast may not necessarily the place that comes to mind when you think of Christmas. There’s no chance of snow and you won’t be needing those Christmas sweaters; but when it comes to a good Aussie Christmas, the Sunshine Coast knows how to celebrate Christmas like some of the best!
Here are some of our suggestions of things to see and do while you are visiting the Coast this Christmas…
Spend some time out doing some Christmas shopping, entertaining the kids and browsing through numerous stalls at the Christmas markets happening on the Coast this year.
Nights on Ocean – Christmas Markets
14th December 5-9pm
Ocean Street Maroochydore
Get all the Christmas inspiration you need at the Nights on Ocean Christmas Markets. There’s live music, an eclectic mix of stalls with locally-designed jewellery, artworks and homewares, plus lots of places to get food with food trucks, coffee and dessert carts.
Eumundi Christmas Night Markets
21st December 5-9pm
80 Memorial Drive Eumundi
Eumundi is world renowned for their markets and are the biggest art and craft market in the country. They are open every Saturday and Wednesday: rain, hail or shine.
On Friday the 21st of December they are running a special Christmas night market, so you can get your retail therapy under the stars. There will be delicious foods, festive music and Santa will be arriving on the Eumundi Fire Truck at approximately 5.30pm and ready to take photos with visitors.
The Sunshine Coast has many twilight and other markets that run with various stalls, food vans and entertainment for the whole family. These run at different locations all over the Coast including:
- Coolum Twilight Markets – Every Friday between 23rd November – 18th January at Tickle Park, 4-8pm
- Cotton Tree Markets– every Sunday, 7am-12pm, Kings Street, Cotton Tree
- Caloundra Twilight Markets – Every Friday from the 14th-28th December, Bulcock Beach Esplanade, 5-9pm
A great way to get in the Christmas spirit is to go for a drive and see Christmas lights on display, and the Sunshine Coast has plenty of great houses to see! We highly recommend a stop at Rainsford Place in Buderim where almost the whole street is decked out with lights. You can drive around or park and take a stroll around the street to take in the Christmas sensation. There’s a whole list of other Sunshine Coast houses involved and a map you can view to plan your journey here.
Christmas at Lifepointe (formerly Sunshine Coast Christmas Lights) is another iconic Sunshine Coast Christmas lights event not to be missed. Lifepointe Church joins with the local community to put on these free events over 9 nights, and their big lights display can even be seen from the motorway as you drive past. Running every night from 15th – 23rd of December, over 30,000 people come through to see their production, lights, Bethlehem walk, animal farms and heaps more! For more information
Shows & Events
Christmas Boat Parade
22nd December 6.30pm-8.30pm
51 Parkyn Pde, Mooloolaba
Every year the Mooloolaba Yacht Club puts on a Christmas lights display with a twist – instead of decorating their building, they decorate the boats! You can sit and cheer on the boats as the cruise down the Mooloolaba River and Kawana Water’ canal. For a great night out, find a spot along the river, grab a picnic blanket and some dinner and sit and watch the boats go past.
Aussie World Christmas Spectacular
22nd December – from 5pm
Tickets: from $29
Aussie World’s Christmas Spectacular is a great way to celebrate with the family. There will be appearances from Santa and Mrs Clause and other Christmas characters, roving carollers, a big Christmas show and fireworks during the night.
Community Carols Events
There are numerous Christmas carols events that happen all over the Coast to get you in the Christmas spirit, singing your favourite carols! Here are a couple to look out for:
- Carols on Cotton Tree – 8th December 4.30-8.30pm (fireworks at 8pm), Cotton Tree Park
- Carols on Kings Beach – 15th December 4.30-8.30pm (fireworks at 8pm), Kings Beach Amphitheatre
- Kawana Carols by the Beach – 16th December 3-7.30pm, 99 Pacific Boulevard, Buddina
Make sure you’re ready for Christmas day with all your festive foods while you’re staying on the Coast!
- If you’re looking for great seafood, check out Mooloolaba Fish Markets open 7 days a week from 8am-7.30pm.
- If you need a butcher while you are here you can’t go past Cotton Tree Meats, a family run butcher that has been servicing the Coast for over 25 years and built a reputation as one of the best in the business.
Not wanting to cook for Christmas day? There are restaurants open serving Christmas day, but you will need to get in quick to make a booking. Here are our top picks:
- The Wharf Tavern Christmas Day Lunch
- 3 course set menu
- Cnr River Esp & Parkyn Pde, Mooloolaba
- The Dock Mooloolaba Christmas Day Lunch
- 3 course menu
- 123 Parkyn Parade Mooloolaba
- Seafood Cruise Mooloolaba Christmas Day & New Years Eve Cruises
- Buffet Lunch or Dinner
- Departs from Mooloolaba Marina, 33-45 Parkyn Parade
Whatever your plans, we hope you have an amazing Christmas during your Holidays Sunshine Coast.